L5R 3.5(D10) game
Character: Hida Hitsui
School: Hida Bushi 1
Stamina 3 (School)
Strength 3 (Family)
Pts Spent: 24
Skills: (School rank + points bought + other)
- Battle (Shadowlands) 1+2
- Defense 1+1
- Heavy Weapons (Dai-tsuchi) 1+2+1 (crab hands)
- Jiujutsu 1+0
- Kenjutsu 1+0+1
- Kyujutsu 1+0+1
- Lore (Shadowlands) 1+1
- Ettiquette 0+1
- Commerce 1+1 (daikoku’s blessing, after char creation)
- Crab hands (6)
- Daikoku’s Blessing (3)
- Irreproachable 1 (2)
- Strength of Earth (2)
- Distinguished Ancestor heritage table roll [Great Battle; Guardian] (2)
- Way of the Land [Kuda Mura] (0)
- Bitter betrothal (-2)
- Doubt [Kyujutsu] (-4)
- Sworn Enemy (-2)
- Idealistic (-2)
Pts Spent: 53/55
Glory 1.1 (3.1 in Kuda Mura)
Attack 6k2+7 (ignores 5 pts of armor)
Damage 5k3+3 (ignores 1 pt of carapace)
My answers to L5R’s ‘20 Questions’
1. What Clan do you belong to?
2. How would others describe your character’s appearance?
a. Slightly taller than your average Rokugani and about twice as thick. Well tanned skin, brown eyes with black hair cropped short. Squarish face with a short mustache and asian-style soul patch (see char portrait)
3. Is your character a bushi, shugenja, monk or courtier?
a. Bushi, since that’s what my school makes me
4. What family does your character belong to?
a. Hida family. Technically of the Kuda vassal family
5. What is your character’s main motivation?
a. To become worthy to fully inherit his grandfather’s position as ruler of Kuda Mura.
6. Who is the person your character trusts most?
a. His grandfather Kittan, followed by his wife Mioru
7. What is your character’s greatest strength? Greatest weakness?
a. Hitsui’s greatest strength is his devotion and dedication. His greatest weakness is his doubt in how people use the Bushido code (especially in regards to the disparity between the castes).
8. What does your character think of bushido?
a. Hitsui embraces the tenets of bushido, but is troubled by how some take it to extremes. Bushido is a set of guidelines and aspirations, not an excuse to take advantage of others.
9. What is your character’s opinion of his own Clan?
a. Hitsui is proud to be part of the Crab clan.The duty they hold is vital and they uphold it with stoicism.
10. Is your character married?
a. Yes, to Hida Mioru, formerly of the Kakita family. Although their marriage is a rocky one (Mioru was not happy being married off to “an uncouth, dirty Crab in some backwater rice village”) he is determined to provide for his wife, no matter how much she irks him.
11. Does your character have any prejudices?
a. Hitsui wasn’t that bothered when the Scorpion were dissolved. Although he’d only ever met them in passing he’s heard nothing but slander about their “dishonorable” actions. Also, the Shadowlands. Fuck em.
12. To whom does your character owe the most loyalty?
a. His grandfather Kittan has always shown himself to be a wise, honorable man and Hitsui owes him much, both as a grandson and a samurai.
13. What are your character’s most and least favorite things?
a. Hitsui dislikes the courts. As a samurai he was required to visit the courts often but the cultured atmosphere and occasionally pompous courtiers irked him to no end.
14. Does you character have any recurring mannerisms?
15. What about your character’s emotions?
a. As a Crab Hitsui’s emotions can flare quite brightly when roused. However, unlike most Crab he’s more reserved than his hot-headed brethren. Hitsui holds the ideals of Bushido in high regard, especially where the treatment of heimin is concerned.
16. How would your character handle a subordinate’s improper behavior?
a. Although most people deserve a second chance (depending on the transgression) samurai are held to loftier ideals than those they rule. The incident would be forgiven but NOT forgotten.
17. How would your character’s parents describe him?
a. A dreamer. Hitsui’s idealistic views of Bushido are often considered admirable but heimin are exactly that: “half people.” If only Hitsui would accept the realities of the world and grow up!
18. What is your character’s highest ambition?
a. Hitsui’s greatest ambition is to become daimyo when the reins of leadership eventually pass to him (but not for some time, as his grandfather is quite healthy and Hitsui is eager to see the world).
19. How religious is your character?
a. The spirits are evident in the world, but Hitsui makes a point to avoid relying upon them or asking for their favor.
20. If you could, what advice would you give your character?
a. Don’t let your adherence to Bushido blind you.